If you are struggling with this question, rest assured that you are not alone. Like many, you probably want both, however to get a good quality juicer and blender at the same time is often not in the budget. If you have ample funds and cabinet space, by all means, get both. They are both useful for different purposes and each have their own pros and cons.
However, for the average person, we recommend getting a high quality blender first, and here’s why…
- Blenders are more versatile. You can add yogurt, bananas, seeds, or nuts to your smoothie; items that are not juicer friendly. You can also make pesto, frozen drinks, salsa, nut butter, and nut milks with a blender.
- Blenders have a lower learning curve. Less frustration means you are not as likely to be discouraged or disappointed when you are just starting out.
- Smoothies make you feel fuller. If you are just making the transition to healthier eating, jumping all the way to juicing is going to leave you hungry and cranky, whereas smoothies can be a satisfying meal replacement. This is because juicing removes all the fiber from fruits and vegetables, and fiber is very filling.
- Blenders are easier to clean. Half a carafe of water and a few drops of dish soap, blend, and voila. Clean. A juicer has more parts to disassemble and either hand wash or throw in the dishwasher.
- You can create juice with a blender, in just one extra step. By straining the liquid through a strainer, cheese cloth, or nut milk bag you will be removing the pulp/fiber. There is a great tutorial with photos HERE.
Exception to the Above
- If you have a chronic health concern, such as arthritis, diabetes, or cancer, and are serious about getting the most nutritional benefit, a juicer is the best option. Juicing gives you a high concentration of vitamins and minerals in an easily digestible form. Within 15 minutes of consuming a fresh, green juice, you will feel it working in your body.
Hopefully, as your budget allows, you will eventually have both a blender and a juicer, as they are both highly beneficial in getting a greater amount of much-needed nutrients into your body.